I know this doesn't show up well but all the spotty areas on the bulkhead are where the entire plywood is missing save for the veneer on the back side.
Interestingly enough no tabbing is present on this side up at the top. A filler was squirted in for a bit (the off-white color right above the wood). The glass tabbing doesn't start until the cabin side sloping down.
Take all the screws out and you'd expect it just to fall out, eh? Luckily I didn't want this panel anyway.
Head area cleaned out awaiting a new bulkhead, new holding tank and a refurbished/new toilet. And yes, a new thru-hull next haulout.
Some Cal sailboats, such as the Cal 29 have a steel beam that transfers the load of the mast to the hull instead of the keel, reducing weight. However this galvanized beam is often rusted on older boats.
I reused the original teak compression post because it was mostly in good shape, the mast was still up, and the high cost of a new teak post. I added a little bit of epoxy filler to repair what little had rotted it in and provide water protection in case there was a leak in this area again.
Removing some trim around the companion way allowed me to cut the new bulkhead from a single piece of lumber.
Getting re-tabbed in. Three layers, staggered by 1", of 6.5 oz 4" fiberglass tape.
Due to the chain plate being here and a small filler piece of wood (Cal's original design) there are 5 layers here (3 under the chainplate).Note the precision alignment device in use (the stick) holding everything in place.
I hindsight the tabbing could have been made with thicker fiberglass cloth or additional layers as suggested by some. However, the current thickness has held up well with no signs of failure anywhere.